Sometimes, when I need a simple meal (especially when I know I’ll be busy this week) I use this system to create a stir fry bowl. You can find great recipes to make authentic stir fry, and I’m not claiming that this is one of them, but I am giving you a good blueprint to make quick, delicious meals that can be easily made in large quantities to feed you for days with a variety of options to keep you from getting bored. You can be as creative or as mundane as you want, and it can be as simple as what is in your fridge and pantry or as elaborate as purchasing several different finishing oils and exotic vegetables from the grocery store.
What You’ll Need (Per bowl):
- 1 CUP VEGGIES
Ideas include: Bamboo Shoots, Beets, Bell Pepper, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery, Green Beans, Kale, Mushrooms, Onion, Parsnips, Peas, Radish, Spinach, Squash, Watercress, Zucchini
- ¾ CUP PROTEIN
Ideas include: (Lean) Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Egg, Fish, Tofu, Tempeh
- ½ CUP GRAIN
Ideas Include: Brown or wild rice, quinoa, couscous, amaranth, barley
Ideas Include: Garlic, Ginger, Herbs (like parsley, cilantro, thyme, lemongrass, etc.), Soy Sauce or Tamari, Lemon or Lime Juice, Salt and Pepper
How to Make:
- Cook grain according to provided instructions; set aside
- Cook protein in oil in med high wok or skillet, a few minutes until cooked through; set aside
- Chop veggies; steam or sauté in same wok or skillet; add spices
- Stir together in proper proportions in bowl; serve and enjoy!
- Make a large amount of grains and protein ahead of time so all you need to do is steam veggies for a quick meal.
- You can use leftovers or hard boiled eggs for a quick meal.
- Easy and delicious to eat hot or cold.
- Try different sauces for more variety.
- You can adapt this to make noodle bowls and pasta.
My Personal Favorites:
- 1 cup mixed with chopped broccoli, onion, mushroom, carrots, 3/4 c chicken, 1/2 c quinoa, garlic clove and tamari (a gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 cup mixed with chopped green beans, beets, mushrooms, onions and spinach, 2 eggs, scrambled, 1/2 c wild rice, garlic, lemon juice, ginger and paprika
- 1 cup mixed with chopped zucchini, red pepper, celery, beets, purple cabbage, onions, 3/4 cup cooked firm tofu, 1/2 c quinoa, garlic powder, tamari