Being a Texan and living far away from the border means that I don’t get all the Tex Mex food that I love. Don’t get me wrong- there are many good places that can be found, but the searching process is much more intricate. Also being half-Mexican, I am lucky in that I gained some wonderfully authentic Mexican recipes from my late abuela. However, sometimes I’m in the mood for some quick and Tex Mex like tacos, enchiladas, or fajitas. This casserole is a little bit of everything and is healthy to boot! Tex Mex Casserole (6 servings)
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 25 minutes
1/2 lb ground turkey
6 corn tortillas, 6″ diameter
1 cup mushrooms (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 zucchini (chopped)
3/4 cup pico de gallo
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup chicken or veggie broth
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbs cilantro
1 tsp olive or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a frying pan add 1 tsp oil and cook the ground turkey until browned through. Season with taco seasoning and set aside.
- In a greased 9×13″ baking dish, place corn tortillas, overlapping slightly, until covering the bottom of the baking dish. Add ground beef, vegetables and pico de gallo, sprinkling evenly over tortillas.
- In a small bowl mix Greek yogurt, veggie broth, garlic powder, paprika and cilantro. Pour evenly over casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Top with guacamole and enjoy!
For 21 Day Fix, 2 servings= 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green, 1/4 purple + blue for guacamole